From the top of St. Rule’s Tower, it can be seen this admirable panorama of the St Andrews town, the sea and the surrounding countryside. This tower is located in the Cathedral grounds but predates it, and it was probably itself part of the Cathedral up to the early 12th century. The name of the tower comes from a legend that credits that St. Rule (also known as St. Regulus), brought the relics of St. Andrew to the area from their original location at Patras in Greece. It was beautifully built in grey sandstone ashlar, and immensely tall, it is a land-and sea-mark seen from many miles away. Its prominence doubtless meant to guide pilgrims to the place of the Apostle’s relics.
The ruins of the St. Andrew’s Cathedral are located in the foreground. The cathedral was of the Bishops (later Archbishops) of St. Andrews from its foundation in 1158 until it fell into disuse after the Reformation. The ruins indicate the great size of the building at 350 feet (over 100 metres) long. They are surrounded by a cementery with so much tombs that can be view along the view.
Near the shoreline, at the East wall, they are the ruins of the St. Andrews Castle and the West Sands beach.
Panasonic DMC-FX9 | f2.8, 1/320s, ISO 80.