‘Puente del Rey’ – that can be translated as King’s Bridge – was built in 1816 by order of King Fernando VII. Its role was to link Madrid city, with parks and gardens at ‘Casa de Campo’, located on the right bank of the Manzanares river.
In the 60’s on the 20th century, it lost its original utility to be a cross as part of the ring highway M-30 , leading the traffic from the A-5 motorway to the Madrid centre.
In 2007, as consequence of the ‘Madrid Rio’ – Madrid River urban project to restore the Manzanares riverside, the bridge was converted in a footbridge that communicates the ‘Principe Pio’ roundabout (see right side of the image) and ‘Cuesta de San Vicente’ street with the ‘Huerta de la Partida’ orchard and the lake at ‘Casa de Campo’.
Calle 30, Madrid (Spain)
Canon EOS 450D | EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS @ 49 mm | f11, 10s, ISO 100. HDR from 3 exposures @ [-2 EV .. 0 ..+2 EV]